Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Squid Heads! You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!

President and Sister Zackrison are responsible for introducing us to calamari.  We went out to dinner with the other missionary couples in our area and President and Sister Zackrison.  We went to a restaurant that is just down the road from us.  It is actually The Emoya  Game Lodge and the restaurant is called the Spookhuijs in Afrikaans which means Spook House in English.  It is full of antiques, statues, wall hangings, all kinds of things from the past.  The placemats on the table were actually old stereo records.  No joke!  Real records like when we were kids.  It is a fun place to go and the food is quite good.  Well President Zackrison order some appetizers that included fried mushrooms and calamari.  I am not sure what all else.  We tried the calamari and thought is was pretty good.


A few days later we went out to lunch at a place called John Dory's.  They had a lunch special of hack (a mild fish) with chips (French Fries) and either calamari or shrimp.  Elder Edington had the shrimp and I had the calamari.  I though calamari was octopus but I found out that it is actually squid.  They cut the tentacle into rings that look like onion rings.  The lunch was quite good but there were these little blobs with
strings sticking out.  I was not sure what it was so I asked the waiter and he explained I was eating squid heads.  They did not taste quite the same after that.  I have decided that fish is not my favorite thing to eat out.  I am not sure if I will have squid heads again or not.  It really did taste pretty good until I found out what it was.



No comments:

Post a Comment